7 Minutes in Heaven with: White Arrows
White Arrows is: Mickey Church, Henry Church, JP Caballero, Andrew Naeve, Steven Vernet.
Bio: White Arrows’ story is stranger than fiction, and lends itself to the skewed brand of electro-pop found on their self-titled EP, available now. The seven-song collection is a reflection of the Schiffs’ amazing journey and lead singer Mickey Schiff’s sensory epiphany: a joyous burst of kaleidoscopic beats, genre-hopping and psychedelic textures. Combining Ziggy Stardust –era guitar bombast with a drum machine and DIY ethos, the White Arrows’ EP combines original material with several remixes by RAC (Remix Artist Collective) and Kevin Seaton (Mad Decent).
1. Where are you from and how long have you been making music?
Mickey: I was born in Los Angeles, and have been making music for 10 years.
2. Describe your sound in 5 words:
JP: Equatorial, Binary Spiritual, Tropical Goth
3. Who would you list as your top 3 musical influences?
Mickey: Van Morrison, Brian Eno, & Dion
4. If you were to choose one song from your most recent release to share with our readers, what would it be and why?
Andrew: Get Gone most recently got put out as a 7inch, and it’s an idea of what’s to be in store for the forthcoming LP.
5. What were your 5 favorite albums of 2010?
- Steven: Delorean – Subiza
- Henry: LCD SOUNDSYSTEM - This is Happening
- JP: Kanye West - My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy
- Andy: Deerhunter – Halcyon Digest
- Mickey: Tame Impala – Innerspeaker
6. Name a band that we might not have heard of yet but we should definitely check out?
Mikey: Mine and Henry’s sister is in a band called GUARDS. They’re sick.
7. What’s been the most exciting thing about 2011 for you so far and what do you have to look forward to?
Mikey: We’ve had an amazing year in retrospect. Considering we’ve only been a band for the duration of 2011, and a little bit of 2010, we have some magical things to look back upon. Releasing what we consider our very [first] single (“Get Gone”) on vinyl, which just came out a month or so ago. Opening for bands like Cults, White Denim, Weezer, The Naked and Famous, Those Darlins, and playing Sasquatch Festival have all been glorious. 2012 is our year to put out our first full-length record, headline our first west-coast tour in December (2011). Traveling above the atmosphere. Playing in the deepest depths of the sea, and searching our souls