7 Minutes in Heaven with: BOWERBIRDS
This Sunday (April 15th) you can catch Bowerbirds at The Earl in Atlanta. Doors open at 8pm and Mandolin Orange is opening. You won’t want to miss this show as it is their last show of their Spring tour!
The band is touring on the heels of the release of The Clearing, their third studio album that dropped on March 6th. Be sure to stream the track “Tuck the Darkness In” on the right, or even better yet, watch their awesome new music video for the song. It’s one of the best we’ve seen this year!
1. Where are you from and how long have you been making music?
We all live in North Carolina now, where I grew up, but everyone else in the band is a transplant, from Florida or the Midwest. Phil and Mark grew up in Grinnell, Iowa, and started playing in bands together when they were eleven years old. We all played music as children, as well. Bowerbirds started in summer of 2005, when Phil started writing songs that didn’t fit stylistically with the music he and Mark had been making, with Wes Phillips, in their other band, Ticonderoga. We recorded and self-released our first e.p. in April of 2006.
2. Describe your sound in 5 words:
3. Who would you list as your top 3 musical influences?
Wes Phillips, Phil’s mom, Phil’s dad.
4. If you were to choose one song from your most recent release to share with our readers, what would it be and why?
“Now We Hurry On” Thematically, it expresses what the whole album is an attempt to say.
5. What were your 5 favorite albums of 2011?
The Nurses, Dracula
The Rosebuds, Loud Planes Fly Low
Colin Stetson, New History Warfare Vol. 2: Judges
Lykke Li, Wounded Rhymes.
6. Name a band that we might not have heard of yet but we should definitely check out?
7. What’s been the most exciting thing about 2012 for you so far and what do you have to look forward to?
We just released our third full-length album, The Clearing, and we are on a big tour right now, around North America, Europe and the U.K. This year will be a year of touring, and of hopefully finishing building the house in the woods we started building (by hand) in 2007, but still haven’t finished (because of all the touring). We’re trying to get that in before the world ends. 2012, y’all.
Watch the documentary about the making of Bowerbirds’ The Clearing (and get a glimpse of that house in the woods they mentioned above).