AthFest 2013: A Retrospective
I’m not much for flattery, but I have no clue how the AthFest Board is going to top the festival that they put on this year. Between an incredibly emotional final show from the Modern Skirts, Zoogma packing out Pulaski Street, or a completely nut-to-butt packed venue for Cicada Rhythm, I don’t know how the weekend could have gone any better. You can check out all our pre-coverage of this year’s event here, but for now, enjoy our highlights of the festival. We didn’t make it to Athens until Friday, so just imagine on all the shenanigans we missed out on Wednesday and Thursday… All Photos by Anna Pence
Friday, June 21st
- An amazing meal from Ted’s Most Best before Quiet Hounds.
- Modern Skirts very final show ever. Maybe they’ll change their minds one day.
- New Madrid packing the 40 Watt for their opening set of the New West Records showcase
- DRGN King & Tedo Stone at the Green Room.
- Les Racquet (all the way from NY) at New Earth.
Saturday, June 22nd
- Beautiful early-afternoon set from powerkompany on the Hull St. Stage
- BYOB at Cali N’ Tito’s and playing drums while waiting in line.
- Pool Party at Days Inn with various AthFest bands.
- Meeting the people behind the Fifth Records & Radio’s Clayton Street Music Festival
- Sam Sniper starting the evening off on the Hull St. Stage
- Zoogma taking over Downtown Athens for an amazing set on the Pulaski St. Stage
- The entire lineup at The World Famous – absolutely incredible performances from Cicada Rhythm, Hope For Agoldensummer, and DJ Quincy. One of our new favorite places in Athens.
Sunday, June 23rd
- UGA Strings Project at Pulaski St. Stage
- Getting hydrated.
- Visiting the artist market.
- Various non-AthFest day events.
- Bloodkin & Lera Lynn‘s sets at Pulaski St. Stage.
- Closing out our third AthFest with an amazing set from Patterson Hood.
Athens continues to grow on us each time we visit. Between the food, the drinks, the nightlife, the parks, the hospitality of the people, and of course – the music, we’re reminded why so many amazing bands call this city home. We look forward to returning and we encourage you to visit if you haven’t.