7 Minutes in Heaven with: Oceanics
Andy Geisel – I’m from Gold Coast, Qld, Australia, and I’ve been playing drums since 2002. I started jamming with Oceanics around 2008/09?
Elliot Weston – I was born in East Melbourne and I’ve been making music for around 6 years now
2. Describe your sound in 5 words:
Elliot Weston – Calypso pop rock with heart
Jackson Haswell – Strokes turned on reverb pedals
3. Who would you list as your top 3 musical influences?
Andy Geisel – The Strokes, Phoenix, The Kooks
Elliot Weston – Beach House, Aqua, The Strokes
4. If you were to choose one song from your most recent release to share with our readers, what would it be and why?
Andy Geisel – “Jukebox”, because it’s my favorite! It took us a long time to make this song work. After many tweaks to the structure, we found something that we all really like and it’s stuck ever since…the half time chorus is really fun to play on drums.
Jackson Haswell – The Beach Boys’ cover we did called “Girl Don’t Tell Me”, because we experimented with a different sound and production technique without fear of tampering with “our” sound, and came out with probably the best song on the record.
5. What were your favorite albums of 2011?
Jackson Haswell – The Strokes – Angles and Ball Park Music – Happiness and Surrounding Suburbs, I can’t really think of any other albums that jumped out at me last year.
6. Name a band that we might not have heard of yet but we should definitely check out?
Jackson Haswell – A band from Sydney by the name of Rockets.
7. What’s been the most exciting thing about 2012 for you so far and what do you have to look forward to?
Elliot Weston – It would have to be writing heaps of new material and well written songs to put on the next release. I’m pretty keen to get into the studios and start recording all of the new songs properly, so i guess that’s what I’m looking forward to.
Jackson Haswell – Something that I can’t announce just yet, but it may lead to an album at soon, which I am certainly looking forward to.