7 Minutes in Heaven with: La Sera
“It’s a new year and we’re anxious to see what up and coming bands and artists might make our top ten lists this year. We also realize a need to bring you more face-time with bands, not just giving you our opinions, but allowing the bands to make their case and let you decide if you want to hear more. So we’re launching “7 Minutes In Heaven with…,” an interview series dedicated to introducing new bands to you guys. It’s a really simple concept: 7 questions answered by the bands, telling you a little about who they are, their music, and what makes 2011 their breakout year. Think of this as your meet and greet–if you like the bands, let us know!” –Beth Yeckley, Head of Interviews for TheBlueIndian.com
La Sera channels the spirit of the 50s and 60s pop, but proves to be much more abstract and easily draws listeners into dream pop with spacey instrumentation and angelic “ahhhhs” throughout. Katy Goodman (who is La Sera) keeps it interesting on her 12-track debut album Hardly Art.
1. Where are you from and how long have you been a band?
La Sera is from my bedroom and has been a band for one year. Currently, my bedroom is in Los Angeles.
2. Describe your sound in 5 words.
Dark sweet heavenly haunting pop
3. Who would you say are your top 3 musical influences?
Beatles, Roy Orbison, Fever Ray
4. If you had to choose one song from your albums that our readers have to hear, what would it be and why?
I would say “Hold” because it’s a happy sounding song with really dark, weird lyrics, which is a theme throughout the record.
5. What were 5 of your favorite albums from 2010?
Before Today – Ariel Pink
Teen Dream – Beach House
At Echo Lake – Woods
Nothing Remains EP – Male Bonding
Crush – Abe Vigoda
6. Name a band that we might not have heard of yet but should definitely check out.
7. What’s big and exciting for you in 2011?