7 Minutes in Heaven with: The Holidays
“It’s a new year and we’re anxious to see what up and coming bands and artists might make our top ten lists this year. We also realize a need to bring you more face-time with bands, not just giving you our opinions, but allowing the bands to make their case and let you decide if you want to hear more. So we’re launching “7 Minutes In Heaven with…,” an interview series dedicated to introducing new bands to you guys. It’s a really simple concept: 7 questions answered by the bands, telling you a little about who they are, their music, and what makes 2011 their breakout year. Think of this as your meet and greet–if you like the bands, let us know!” –Beth Yeckley, Head of Interviews for TheBlueIndian.com
What stands out the most about Australia indie outfit The Holidays is their debut album Post Paradise, which brings to the table an ethereal synth vibe mixed with clever lyricism, laid back vocals, and a lot of nice details in the instrumentation, including some obvious tropical inspiration. The Holidays are Simon Jones, Will Magnus, Alex Kortt, and Andrew Kerridge.
1. Where are you from and how long have you been a band (or been making music)?
We’re from Sydney, Australia. We’ve been making music for about 4 years.
2. Describe your sound in 5 words.
Electro-organic bongo-laced dreampop
3. Who would you say are your top 3 musical influences?
Brian Eno, Primal Scream, People Under The Stairs
4. If you had to choose one song from your album that our readers have to hear, what would it be and why?
Probably “6AM,” it blends most of our main musical elements – hand percussion, sampled beats, dreamy guitar wash.
5. What were 5 of your favorite albums from 2010?
Forget – Twin Shadow
Halcyon Digest – Deerhunter
Teen Dream – Beach House
Cosmogramma – Flying Lotus
Grinderman 2 – Grinderman
6. Name a band that we might not have heard of yet but should definitely check out.
Richard In Your Mind – Fellow Sydney band, crazy psychadelic freak folk.
7. What’s big and exciting for you in 2011?
Our first trips to the USA and UK are pretty exciting, we’re playing a Redbull spring break pool party in Vegas…