7 Minutes in Heaven with: KISHI BASHI
Having collaborated and toured with indie strangelings of Montreal, Regina Spektor, and Sondre Lerche, singer, violinist, and composer, K Ishibashi (aka Kishi Bashi), embarks on a epic orchestral solo project. His solo live show is a dazzling array of looping and vocal/violin gymnastics. K is also singer of the NYC synth rock band Jupiter One.
You can catch Kishi Bashi performing in Atlanta on August 6th at The 529 Bar.
1. Where are you from and how long have you been making music?
I was born in Seattle, but I also spent equal time in Ithaca, NY, and Norfolk Virginia, where I live now. I started playing violin when I was 6, so I can proudly and embarrassingly claim that I’ve been playing for over 3 decades.
2. Describe your sound in 5 words:
3. Who would you list as your top 3 musical influences?
Tchaikovsky, Takemitsu, Debussy
4. If you were to choose one song from your most recent release to share with our readers, what would it be and why?
Track one, “Intro/Pathos, Pathos.” It rounds up the whole album into one short idea perhaps?
5. What were your 5 favorite albums of 2011?
Washed Out – Within & Without
Black Keys – El Camino
Lonely Island – Turtleneck & Chain
Beirut – The Rip Tide
James Blake – James Blake
6. Name a band that we might not have heard of yet but we should definitely check out?
Aerobic International. They are a lifestyle group. My friend is the CEO. Rad free shirts (for me).
7. What’s been the most exciting thing about 2012 for you so far and what do you have to look forward to?