7 Minutes in Heaven with: PICKWICK
Like Damien Jurado, The Head and the Heart, and Dolorean, PICKWICK is one of those much beloved bands from the northwest with a dedicated following. Though 2013 will bring about their first full-length album (Can’t Talk Medicine, 3/12/13) and accompanying national tour, they’ve already been playing festivals, sold-out hometown shows, and dropped a well-received EP.
You can catch Pickwick performing in Atlanta on April 30th at The Earl and we wanted to give you an opportunity to get to know the guys a little better.
1. Where are you from and how long have you been making music?
We all call Seattle “home” but we grew up in various places across the country. We’ve been grinding it out in Seattle for the last four years or so. Galen might be from Neptune.
2. Describe your sound in 5 words:
3. Who would you list as your top 3 musical influences?
We like a lot of different types of music, so it’s hard to say which specific artists. We can all agree on Otis Redding, The Monks, & The Crystals.
4. If you were to choose one song from your most recent release to share with our readers, what would it be and why?
Probably ‘Hacienda Motel‘. It’s a pop song written about a tragic event. I’ve always liked the juxtaposition of a pop song telling you something awful.
5. What were your 5 favorite albums of 2012?
Damien Jurado – Maraqopa
Tame Impala – Lonerism
Frank Ocean – Channel Orange
Thee Oh Sees – Putrifiers II
Sharon Van Etten – Tramp
6. Name a band that we might not have heard of yet but we should definitely check out?
Foxygen is the best band in the world.
7. What’s been the most exciting thing about 2013 for you so far and what do you have to look forward to?
We will be releasing our debut full length and touring North America for the first time. We’re excited to get these songs out and to see the rest of the country. It’ll be our first time in most of the cities… hopefully we won’t die.