7 Minutes in Heaven with: Brave Irene
“It’s a new year and we’re anxious to see what up and coming bands and artists might make our top ten lists this year. We also realize a need to bring you more face-time with bands, not just giving you our opinions, but allowing the bands to make their case and let you decide if you want to hear more. So we’re launching “7 Minutes In Heaven with…,” an interview series dedicated to introducing new bands to you guys. It’s a really simple concept: 7 questions answered by the bands, telling you a little about who they are, their music, and what makes 2011 their breakout year. Think of this as your meet and greet–if you like the bands, let us know!” –Beth Yeckley, Head of Interviews for TheBlueIndian.com
Artist Site: http://www.myspace.com/braveirene
All hail Canada! Brave Irene is an all-girl (lady) band with an infectious energy, bringing together fuzzy guitars, roaring percussion, and tap-your-feet tempo. Led by Rose Melberg (of Tiger Trap, Go Sailor, and the Softies), Brave Irene’s songs should definitely make some of your summer playlists.
1. Where are you from and how long have you been a band?
We are from Vancouver, B.C.! We played together for about 6 months during 2009 and 2010 (and are currently on a break while band members do fun stuff out of the country).
2. Describe your sound in 5 words.
Caitlin, Amanda, Rose, Jessica, Laura
3. Who would you say are your top 3 musical influences?
Our moms, our friends, each other
4. If you had to choose one song from your albums that our readers have to hear, what would it be and why?
Probably “No Fun”(because it has a little extra fuzz guitar).
5. What were 5 of your favorite albums from 2010?
Past Time – Grass Widow
Beach Fossils – Beach Fossils
Olympic City – Bad Fate
Mount Benson – Apollo Ghosts
Prism Eyes – Reading Rainbow
6. Name a band that we might not have heard of yet but should definitely check out.
Apollo Ghosts (one of the greatest bands in Vancouver).
7. What’s big and exciting for you in 2011?
Hopefully reuniting in the summer after being apart for over a year.